To give and recive information on hunting and fishing in Southern IL. To help all of us have the best season we can.

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Teal season




Well all i can say is wow. This is the first year that i have had a great teal season. It started at 6:11 when 1 little blue wing landed in the decoys. We hoped and prayed that it would stay until legal shooting time. But alas it it wasn't meant to be. What was meant to be is the six others we downed in high fashion. First group of ducks of the year and the first shot of the year resulted in a Scottish double, that's right 2 with one shot. Nope not from me but my hunting partner Jamie. Oh me of course I missed. But I would exact revenge on the little blue wing jets. All though i couldn't connect for a limit its not for the lack of teal. They was plentiful and lasted longer than the normal hour long flight. Babe the six month old yellow lab of mine didn't perform the way we all want a first hunt to go. She couldn't find the birds as they was falling. So she had a hard time with the blinds. Witch that ain't her fault because I never got to work with her enough this summer. On the bright side she wasn't bothered with two guys blasting away. On the last retrieve when we got about half way there and she spotted a wing flapping and she went right to it and picked it up and brought it to the shore. Oh yeah the best part of the day. I took a header in the water from a submerged stump. All the way up to my neck and over my waders. So i just took them off and hunted in pants and hunting boots. I never got hot after that. Don't know why. Anyway we had fun and what a great way to start the duck season ahead of us. Can't wait to go next weekend as we are going to Branson for 4 days. Until my next post stay safe, have fun and keep it in the kill zone