To give and recive information on hunting and fishing in Southern IL. To help all of us have the best season we can.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Squirrel Season


Had a good weekend hunting the tree rats. Killed 7 Saturday, in the rain and wet feet to boot. Also killed 5 Saturday, while out by my self this time. That is my first limit this year. It took a while because I was missing alot. Most of the the time when I pull the trigger on the Savage 17 HMR them squirrels come flying of the tree. More often than not I'm used to hitting and not missing. But the last time I bought shell for the gun the didn't have my brand (Hornady V MAX)
so I had to buy the Federal's. I really don't think they are as consistant as the Hornady's. Anyway All squirrels shot in Pig Nut trees or Hickories. It was nice to get alone today. No one to worry about getting in their way or mine. No body whining because they didn't shoot much. Just me the squirrels and my 17 cal. with the BSA sweet 17 6x18 40mm scope. So so nice!!!!anyway for the record its 24 squirrels this year with 14 in my bag and the others spread among friends who I hunt with. Also can't wait till dove season as for now Squirrels may be done for the year, with Doves around the corner and Teal season right after that. Then vacation the second week of September. And Deer in October, and then of course he ducks and geese this winter. But you never know I may sneak a weekend in there somewhere for my friends the Tree Rats. Until my next post stay safe, have fun and keep it in the kill zone.